So I’m hosting a Minecraft server with all of Denmark in 1:1 scale (accessible on denmark.simpvp.net.) I’ve also put dynmap on the server, for a nice overview of the entire country. The settings are set to vlowres, flat map only. I added dynmap to the server on May 20th, starting the render of the whole world at 12:29 local time. The rendering finished on June 4th 06:12, meaning it took 14 days, 17 hours and 43 minutes to render. All in all dynmap currently takes up 81.2GB of space.
The problem now is that I originally just set the zoom level randomly to 4, given that I had no idea how much you would be able to see with any particular zoom level. Now that it’s finished, it’s clear that this is far too zoomed in, I really wanted the entire country to be visible when zoomed completely out. I did a little bit of math, and figured out that zoom level 8 should definitely show the entire country, and 7 possibly show enough. But the problem there is that it’s not possible to have it render higher zoom levels without redoing the entire render, so I’m going to just set it to 8, and then start the entire render all over again. I’ve also managed to disable the surface map and the caves map since it finished, so we’ll see if that makes any difference for the second render.
Update: Second complete render finished in 14 days, 10 hours and 55 minutes. It is accessible on simpvp.net/denmark
I use git for all my digital exams, I have a simple script that just commits all changes every 5 minutes. That way I can go back to old revisions or undelete things as needed. This works pretty well as I write everything in LaTeX. This also means that I can see exactly how much I had done at any point in time. I’ve used this to graph the lines of code in my LaTeX document over time, for a 5 hour physics exam I took 2 days ago.
It seems I worked more or less continuously for the first 60 or so minutes. After that it’s all in steps, where I’ve had a problem, thought about it, and then written the solution down.
I’ve decided to go ahead and disable IPv4 on the c4k3.net website. Since this is just a small site, and probably 90% of traffic is from me, (with the other 9% being web crawlers,) it’s really not important that people without IPv4 will be unable to visit my site. Disabling it makes me feel like I’m doing something to further IPv6.
I thought this would be easy to do, and it turns out nginx has a ipv6only directive. So I set that to on for c4k3.net, and then everything stopped working. Apparently if you have several virtual servers (as I do,) then nginx only lets you specify one listen directive for each IP:Port pair, so it’s not possible to disable IPv4 on one site but not on another site. So I figured the easiest thing to do would be to just remove the A record to c4k3.net. Problem solved!